12 November 2016 / Team News

Laugharne v Neyland

Laugharne 43pts Neyland 17pts Sat 16th Oct 2016

From the start Neyland made their intentions known to run the ball on every occasion they had possession. On a firm pitch despite the recent rain they kicked off and once they had secured the ball with a movement across the field and back again wing R. Conbee powered around the Laugharne defence to score the opening try. This was followed by a neat conversion kick from flyhalf T.Hayman and Neyland were looking the side who have started the league so well. After this initial setback the Laugharne players composed themselves and did not panic. In the 6th minute prop Dorian Harries seized on the ball as he thundered towards the Neyland line frustrating would be tacklers. When he was finally stopped scrum half Grant Water was on hand to get the ball away to wing Luke Starkey who powered over for an unconverted try. This try `took the stuffing` out of Neyland as they found themselves floundering. This was the period that Laugharne began to assert themselves in the scrums and also to show that their defence was rock solid. Fly half Owain Thomas and centres Ross Michael and Tom Jameson were `out of the blocks` so quickly that it rattled the Neyland midfield. The reorganised Laugharne pack of playing hooker Tom Waters and wing Gareth Davies as flankers and customary flanker Mikey Williams at No.8 paid off as they played their part in keeping the momentum going. In the 12th minute Laugharne worked their way into the Neyland 22 and when they were awarded an attacking scrum, the front row of props Harries and the powerful Rhys Thomas together with hooker Richie Waters formed a potent unit with Lewis Owen and Tomos Rees `in the engine room` supporting them. Mikey Williams at No.8 picked up from the base of the scrum and swivelled his way out of desperate tackles to score. Centre Tom Jameson added the conversion and Laugharne were in front. In the 30th minute Laugharne consolidated their slender lead with a third try with their team spirit coming to the fore as they chased every kick and put in those crucial tackled. Good pressure from Starkey, Jameson and Grant Waters had Neyland `at sixes and sevens` as they probed right. The ball came back left and flyhalf Thomas released centre Michael who powered over for the unconverted try. In the 33rd minute and not to be outdone, Neyland scrum half C. Morgan picked up a quick tap penalty just outside the 22 and hared over for an opportunist try. Still the points kept coming and on the stroke of half time Laugharne were awarded a penalty try as Neyland were unable to cope with the sheer pressure exerted on them. Jameson kicked the conversion and Laugharne went into half time at 24pts-12pts with the bonus point.
 Laugharne restarted the 2nd half and continued to pose problems in the scrums and within twenty minutes of the half, No.8 Williams completed his hat-trick of tries all coming from Laugharne`s strongest route, the scrummage where the Neyland eight were annihilated. The 2nd came from a 5m scrum in the 10th minute of the half where Williams picked again from base and with superb upper body strength and spun over for the try converted by Jameson. In the 22nd minute he completed his third from an almost identical position and distance again being converted by Jameson. Neyland are a proud side and continued to battle but up against the wind they had difficulty getting out of their 22 let alone the half. In this area fullback Tom Davies and wing Gareth Spiers would return the ball with interest, either running at Neyland or kicking into spaces. Fullback Davies had Laugharne`s final score as he squeezed into the corner of a blind side move for the unconverted try. However it was Neyland who score last with a consolation try for flanker R.Grise.
   Next week Laugharne travel to St Davids K.o 2-30pm Bus to leave Laugharne at 12-00noon
Alun Jenkins Laugharne R.F.C.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments