Laugharne RFC | 1st Team 29 - 10 Llangwm RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
14 January 2017 / Team News

Laugharne 29pts Llangwm 10pts

Laugharne kicked off on a dreary miserable January afternoon with the shrouding mist reminiscent of an image from an old film of `The Hound of the Baskervilles`.Laugharne needed a game like this to get them back on track for the sterner tests they will encounter in the weeks ahead. To their credit Llangwm are no push over these days and did put together some good facets of play which frustrated Laugharne. It did take 25 minutes for them to get on the score sheet but in the meantime the Laugharne scrum led by the front row of props Rhys Thomas and Ben Lloyd together with hooker Tom Waters formed a potent unit as they dismantled the Llangwm scrum. They were ably supported by locks Lewis Owen and the returning Gary Jones in the `boiler house`. After two attempts at push over tries, with good vision scrum half Grant Waters took a quick tap penalty to put flanker Mikey Williams in space and over for the opening try. Centre Tom Jameson converted. But still, Llangwm were not taking things lying down bringing their close quarter play to the fore. But for Llangwm, their scrummage was their `Achilles Heel` with Laugharne hooker Waters claiming the try under a melee of bodies on 38 minutes. Jameson converted and Laugharne were comfortably in control at half time. 
 Llangwm restarted the 2nd half but it was Laugharne who took the initiative and within two minutes went further ahead. A loose ball on halfway was picked up by prop Thomas who with good hands off loaded to flanker Williams on his outside. Williams hugged the touchline and with only a very small area to work in he managed to break tackles as he finally got the ball away to fullback Tom Davies. Davies had some work to do but managed to squeeze in at the corner for an unconverted try. As is often the case, Laugharne sat back on their lead, giving Llangwm some breathing space allowing work horse and flanker I. Griffiths to claim the unconverted try. Laugharne were `still not out of the woods` as certain players seemed to be suffering from `tunnel vision` as they squandered chances by getting isolated and not getting passes away to players in better positions. On 20 minutes for the half, skipper and No.8 Carl Smith made a brave decision to take a scrum in front of the Llangwm posts rather than kick for goal. Fortunately, Laugharne won the ball with sub scrum half Gethin Jones opting to go left before changing his mind and finding centre Jameson in space on his right. Jameson found the alert Tom Davies on his shoulder to finish the movement with an unconverted try and the bonus point. But Llangwm are a proud side and through the mist and gloom battled up front with their close support play and flanker Dave Reynolds was rewarded with the consolation try. But the game was still not over with flyhalf Owain Thomas opting to play the direct approach by employing his forwards and with one final forward surge flanker Carwyn Jones was over for his deserved first try after giving a hard working display throughout.
Next week Laugharne entertain Pembroke K.O 2-30pm
Alun Jenkins  Laugharne R.F.C
Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos